Delicious Oatmeal Crumb Bars
Oatmeal Berry Crumb Bars
A simple buttery oat crust topped with cooked berries and a sweet crumbly topping. Perfect with coffee!
Serves: 24-30 bars
- For the Crust/Topping:
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups quick oats (see note)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup COLD butter
- For the Berry Filling:
- 3 cups assorted fresh (or frozen, unsweetened) berries (I used sliced strawberries, whole blueberries, and whole blackberries)
- 2½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, quick oats, sugar, and baking soda.
- Cut in the butter using a box grater and then use your fingers to combine everything into coarse crumbs (some pieces will be larger and some will be very fine; just do your best to incorporate the butter and the largest pieces should be pea-sized).
- Set 2 cups of the mixture aside and press the remaining crumbs into the bottom of an un-greased 9 X 13 pan.
- Place the berries and sugar into a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the lemon juice, water, and cornstarch. Stir to coat. The liquid will simmer and the berries will mostly break down. Continue cooking and stirring for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture is a thick jam-like consistency.
- Spoon the berries over the crust and spread it evenly.
- Scatter the reserved crust loosely over the top of the berries, covering everything.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Let the bars cool completely before cutting.