Us women use so much stuff in our hair to keep it looking nice. We use chemicals such as relaxers (for women of color) which over time can really damage the hair, hair colors, perms, and heat. Heat is one of the main causes of damaged hair. I know I have put my hair through so much hair color that it just won't take color anymore so I have had it with hair colors. No more. I am going to treat my hair like gold from now on. Us women put so much stress on our hair and we don't realize that with all the things we do it that we think is making it look nice, it's really destroying . Here are some tips I think you will find helpful that will help repair or keep your hair looking fabulous.
To maintain proper body functions your body needs variety of vitamins and minerals.
In the same way, good nutrition is required not only for your body but for your hair also.
Good nutrition plays a vital role in healthy hair growth. There are several vitamins that are used for hair growth.
If you start to take vitamins for your hair growth, then it takes two to three months to see the results in your hair’s condition.
That means you should have lot of consistency and patience. Before starting usage of vitamins for your hair, you should get it checked with your doctor if you have any health concerns.
The hair growth vitamins that will help in producing healthy hair are as follows:Vitamin A is an antioxidant that will help you to produce healthy sebum in the scalp. The various food sources that will provide vitamin A are meat, eggs, cabbage, fish liver oil, carrots, peaches, spinach, broccoli and apricots.
The daily dose of vitamin A should be 5000 IU. Be careful while taking the dose. Heavy dose can cause several side effects. For example: if you take more than 25000IU then it will be toxic and will cause hair loss and other serious health problems.
Vitamin C is also an antioxidant that will help in the maintenance of skin and hair health. Vitamin C will be found mostly in strawberries, green peppers, dark green vegetables, potatoes, cantaloupe, citrus fruits, kiwi and pine apple. The daily dose of vitamin C should be 60mg.
Vitamin E is also an antioxidant that will enhance the scalp circulation. The best food sources for vitamin E are wheat germ oil, raw seeds, cold-pressed vegetable oils, soybeans, nuts, leafy green vegetables and dried beans.
The daily dose for vitamin E is 400IU. Be careful while taking Vitamin E because it will raise the blood pressure and reduce blood clotting. People who have high blood pressure should check with their doctors before taking vitamin E supplement.
Biotin is the vitamin that helps to produce keratin. Keratin will prevent hair loss and graying. The best food sources for this biotin are whole grains, rice, liver, milk, brewer’s yeast and egg yolks. The daily dose of this biotin should be 150 to 300mcg.
Inositol is used to keep hair follicles healthy at cellular level. The best food sources for this inositol are brewer’s yeast, citrus fruits, whole grains and liver. The daily dose of this inositol should be 600mg.
Niacin is also known as vitamin B3. It promotes scalp circulation. The best food sources for niacin are fish, brewer’s yeast, chicken and wheat germ. The daily dose of this niacin should be 15mg.
Vitamin B5 is also known as pantothenic acid. It is used to prevent graying and hair loss. The best food sources for this vitamin B5 are brewer’s yeast, egg yolks, whole grain cereals and organ meat. The daily dose of this vitamin B5 should be 7mg.
Vitamin B6 helps in creating melanin, prevents hair loss and gives hair its color. The best food sources for this vitamin B6 are whole grain cereals, organ meat, egg yolk, vegetables, liver and brewer’s yeast. The daily dose of this should be 1.6mg.
Vitamin B12 helps in preventing hair loss. The best food sources for this vitamin B12 are fish, eggs, milk and chicken. The daily dose of this vitamin B12 should be 2mg.
Never use a brush on wet or damp hair as this may cause breakage, Use a comb and start at the ends first and work your way to the roots. It also helps to leave just a little bit of hair conditioner in the hair or use a detangler for really long or tangled hair.
Use a good conditioner after you shampoo and try a hot oil treatment at least once a week.
Another great thing to use on your hair is Mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is great for the hair. It has a lot of protein because most mayonnaise is made with eggs. And yes it does work. I have tried it myself. This is low-cost and will work miracles on your hair.
Mayonnaise Tea Tree Hair Masque
1 cup Organic Mayonnaise
1 tsp Tea Tree essential oil
- Purchase some mayonnaise at your local grocery store. It doesn’t matter which brand you choose, just as long as it is regular mayonnaise. (No need to get the low-fat stuff—it’s going in your hair not in your body!)
- Prep your hair using warm water to get it nice and damp, but not soaking wet.
- Scoop some mayonnaise out of the jar and start rubbing it through your hair like you would a conditioner. The amount that you are going to use really depends on the length and thickness of your hair. Feel free to lather on the amount that you feel most comfortable with.
- Wrap your head of hair with a plastic wrap, a plastic bag, or shower cap to trap the heat inside. Heat opens the pores and allows the treatment to penetrate strands further and thus work better.
- Let the treatment sit on the hair for at least 20 minutes. You can let it sit longer depending on how damaged your hair already is.
- Wash the mayonnaise out. This is most easily done in the shower using a diluted shampoo. You may need to shampoo a few times before you are able to get all of the mayonnaise out. Be sure to use the shampoo gently, not tangling the hair
These are the various vitamins that help hair growth. You should be careful regarding dose of each vitamin. Heavy dose of these vitamins can cause severe health problems.
* This is for information purpose only. It is best to always check with you doctor if you are on any medicines before taking any type of supplements as they may interact with some medications*