Chicken Jambalaya with Rice
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 stalks celery
1 small onion
1 small green pepper
1 can petite cut tomatoes – 14.5 oz
1½ cups-35 cl chicken broth
¾ cup-150 g white rice
1 tsp dried thyme
2 cloves garlic
¼ tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
¼ cup fresh parsley
2 whole chicken breasts
½ lb shrimp
½ lb smoked sausage
1. Chop celery, onion, and green pepper. Mince garlic. Saute vegetables in oil until soft, but not browned. Add vegetables to slow cooker.
2. Sprinkle uncooked rice over vegetables in slow cooker.
3. Skin, debone and cut chicken breasts ( I used Boneless chicken breast) into bite size pieces. Saute until no longer pink on exterior. Place chicken on top of vegetables and rice in slow cooker.
4. Crush red pepper flakes and add to mixture. Mix chicken broth, tomatoes, coarsely chopped parsley and seasonings. Pour over mixture in slow cooker.
5. Cook on LOW 6 hours or until chicken and rice are done. Adjust seasonings to taste.
6. Optional: Top with cooked smoked sausage and/or cooked shrimp.
I suggest you cook this very slow on low as I got a new crockpot and accidently had the setting on high and I over cooked my rice so it says low cook it on low. :-) I also added diced carrots to my pot as well.
Hope you try it