Translate

Monday, June 9, 2008

The Soap Biz Family & Friends

We all have family, friends, co workers that are in our lives everyday. I consider myself a Artist of soapmaking. I take my products and my work very seriously. I have worked so hard over the years to perfect my craft. Learning, reading, trial and error has made me the person I am today. If you were to ask me 10yrs ago would I consider making soap and starting my own online business, I would have thought you were crazy. I was in a high stressful job and didn't see anyway out of it. Now I love doing something I love and no one seems to appreciate all the love and devotion I put into my craft. My husband always pats me on the back and tells me that he is so proud of me and all my accomplishments. I did everything on my own with some help from him because I wanted to do it on my own. I wanted to see what I can actually do. My husband was always available to lend me a hand whenever I needed it. I learned HTML, learned how to create a website, did my shopping cart on my own, learned how to order products and ingredients, learned how to make soap on my own coming from Melt and Pour ready made soap base. It was a serious challenge for me.

So I say this because my family nor my friends (not that I have any friends) never ask me about my business. Never say "hey how is your business going"? Or what are you making this week. NEVER! My twin brother never asks me about my business at all unless he wants something. My sister-in-law is nice but she really hasn't really showed much interest either. We aren't close either and have pretty much nothing in common so I can probably understand her not showing much interest in what I do. I have a older brother that NEVER asks about my business or my life pretty much. I don't talk to my sister nor my father so they never ask. My mom is great but she never really gets to involved in what I do unless she wants me to send her something. I can tell she is not really interested because soon as I start talking about anything soap related, she gets this glazed look in her eyes. Its almost like when men come home and talk about their day at work and wives get this this "Oh no he is talking about this boring job again" look on their face. I can always tell when she is not interested so I don't bring it up to her anymore. So all I am left with is my dear husband and my son. I don't get it. No I don't want to assume they want freebies all the time but at least ask me about it, or show some interest even if you really don't care about what I do. If anything I thought my family would be more supportive but they just don't really care one way or the other about my soap business. And even if they did inquire about it, the comment is "how is your little soapy thing going?" or something to that nature. I work too hard at making my soap, and my bath products to just hand over whenever anyone wants it. I don't mind giving away free items if it is in the trial stage of testing but they don't bother unless I have something to give. It use to bother me but my attitude is "oh well".



I can't let this bring me down but it just makes me wonder where is the support of family? Don't get me wrong, I love my family dearly but they just don't really give a rats ass in what I do. Which is fine. Now the question is, are they suppose to show interest in my business ventures? Are they suppose to care what I do? The answer is NO not really but family is suppose to stick together and support each other whether they like what you do or not. I know at times family and siblings tend to compete with each other and may result in a lot of resentment and jealousy when one is doing better than the other. But in my case, it is not about competing, its not about making a lot of money and throwing it in their face to show off, its about finding myself, something in my life that I really enjoy doing and being good at it and wanting acknowledgment from family. Even pat on a the back for doing a good job and showing that they at least support my efforts even if they could careless as to what I am doing with my life. I have finally found something in my life that I am actually good at doing and happy for making the change. All my life I just went from job to job trying to find what it is I am actually good at doing. Yes I can do alot of things and do well at many of the jobs in the past but was I happy doing it? NO I wasn't. I was there just to pay the bills and take care of my son because I had to. We all have to.

I guess when you see it from my perspective, my family is pretty much distant and not very close family to give the support.

~Michelle

Post a Comment