Just Because They Say It's Natural Doesn't Mean It Is


I don't profess to be the soap expert or a Miss Know it all but I am a soap maker and we as soap makers make our soaps so differently from each other. I do a lot of research into ingredients and in no way can someone who buys ready made soap claim their soaps are all natural. I see all the time where a soap says "All Natural Soap". I can't even make that claim on some of my very own soaps due to the fragrance oils I use in my soap. BUT I do use all natural oils and my soaps are made from scratch. That is the difference between homemade soaps and store bought or ready made soaps.

Some prefer to use the easy method which is using the Melt and Pour method. It is very easy and if you mess up you can always start over. I actually like using melt and pour. Many many sellers use this soap base but for me it is not something I would use on a regular basis.

Why you ask? Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES) almost all store bought soaps. While SLS is a known irritant, some evidence and research suggest that SLES can also cause irritation after extended exposure.(see wiki)

These ingredients can cause skin irritation. These ingredients are synthetic man made ingredients. I know because I did my research. You can too. Just don't take my word for it.

Handmade soaps don't always mean better or has no chemicals. It depends on what soap is being handmade. Many handmade soapers have have found the easy to use MELT AND POUR it is cheap and a great way to make and resell. SOME Melt and Pour soaps have the same ingredients as store bought soaps. I have and still use these soaps but I don't recommend using them FOR MYSELF long term. I love making them for novelty fun soaps.

Some of these Melt and pours claim to be all natural but they really aren't. Adding goats milk and herbs doesn't make it natural or chemical free. If you don't see ingredients listed on in a listing or anywhere, always ask. And soaps made using melt and pour should be stated as such or at least the ingredients from the soap base. This way here you will know if the soap is made from scratch or from a melt and pour base and you can make the decisions for yourself. I have seen many many soapers that do not state that their soaps are made from a melt and pour soap base and they aren't required to but they should at least list the ingredients so customers know what is in the. NOT SAYING ALL SELLERS ARE LIKE THIS


So in closing look for Sodium Laureth Sulfate & Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate in the ingredients. These are NOT natural ingredients and they do not make the soap NATURAL.You need to find out what are in these soaps.

So the question is, are there surfactant that are safe to use, and are skin safe, and not a detergent? YES

There is great confusion about Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacteate. I am being asked a lot about using SLS.I do NOT USE this ingredient in any of my products.


Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is derived from coconut and palm oils; a safe skin friendly surfactant (foaming agent) for both skin and hair. This mild plant derived surfactant creates a rich, luxurious lather that effectively removes suface oil, dirt and bacteria, without stripping or drying sensitive skin. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is also hydrophillic, This meas it is attracted to water, which enables it to dissolve more readily in water. thus providing superior rinseablility.

Sodium Laureth Sulfate are SYNTHETIC cleansing agents that are small molecule ingredients. The are capable of penetrating the skin, which can increase the occurrence of skin irritation.

Sodium Lauryl Lactylate derives from coconut

Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinateis derived from palm kernel and sugar, a safe, skin friendly cleanser for both skin and hair that effectively removes surface oil, dirt and bacteria, without stripping or drying sensitive skin.

I would like to clear something up so there is no confusion on anyone who reads this post. I am not one to put other soapers down for using Melt and Pour. I use it myself which seems that some people keep missing. This method of soap making is the not the CHOICE FOR ME and not saying that ALL melt and pour soaps are the same. In MY experience when I started my business I myself have used it but have notice that my skin wasn't improving from using it long term as I had severe dry skin. I bought from many many suppliers and have not notice much of a change. The melt and pour soaps that I have run across have these harsh ingredients. If a soaper using fragrance oils to scent their soaps, then they are not 100% natural as fragrance oils are not natural as essential oils are. So I don't want anyone who makes soaps with melt and pour soap base feel as though they are being bashed for using it. Times have change and melt and pour suppliers have change over the years to make them better without all the harsh chemicals. Just read the ingredients

I just want uneducated customers that don't know much about soap making know the difference and read ingredients when buying soap and know the difference between melt and pour and soaps made from scratch based on ingredients that are listed so no one will assume that the soaps they see are made from scratch.



~Michelle
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Legs Oh NO!

Cold vs Hot Process Soap? What's The Difference?

Cold Process vs Hot Process Method