A Positive Message
Seven Positive Reflections on Body Image
1. Find your gratitude. Thank your body for serving you. Start with your feet, look at them and recognize how much walking they have done for you, then your legs which have carried you for so long. Experiment with other parts of the body. Later you might enquire about programs that help you to develop a peaceful relationship with your body and yourself, ie meditation, tai chi, qi gong and gentle styles of yoga.
2. Find your humor. There is nothing like a good laugh to relax the mind and nourish the nervous system. Hire a comedy video with a friend or go to a funny show. Take a risk, do something silly like dancing naked until you fall down laughing.
3. Start the day in a positive way. This of the good things in your life instead of the bad things that are going on in your life. When waking, think about two pleasant things that might await you. End each night by giving thanks for three things (people, personal attributes, people you value in your life).
4. Approach the mirror like a man. Pat your belly and give yourself a wink. If your mind begins to berate you about your looks, your weight etc, tell yourself that you are not going to engage in self-criticism this once and move on.
5. Practice non judgment. Just for today, don't judge yourself or anyone else. Whenever a critical thought about yourself or someone else comes into your mind tell yourself "let it go, I'm not making any judgments today".
6. Actively relax. Float, swim, take a bath. Put on some music and dance, belly dance, do some gardening, arrange flowers, draw and paint. Or receive relaxation through massage, acupuncture, sensual pleasure, aromatherapy. You know what gets you to unwind, you just forget to do it. So do it now before you talk yourself out of it.
7. Nurture yourself. Choose wholesome, nourishing food. Cuddle up with a book under a soft, comfortable blanket. Wear soft, comfortable clothes that make you at home, no matter where you are. Put lavender on your pillow, roses in your bath, candles in your bedroom. Have a specially long facial. Take care of yourself. You are worth it.