My opinions About Soaps not made from scratch.

First let me tell you that I started out with Melt & Pour. It was a great avenue for me to get started making soap and if it wasn't for me starting with M & P I wouldn't have branched into cold process soaps. I still use some it so just wanted to let you know that. I don't think I am perfect in anyway because I chose to do soaps from scratch and don't want to put anyone else down for using M & P either. This is just my personal thoughts about it and other soaps bought in stores.

Most so called soaps are mostly synthetic, so called "soaps" that are full of harsh detergents and other unnatural chemicals. These soap are in our stores that we buy all the time.

Check out the ingredients (if they bother to give you any) and
you'll see just how many cheap oils or animal fat or Tallow and synthetic petro-chemicals their so called "soaps" really contain.

You can't add a pinch of herbs and a natural sounding names and make real soap. If soaps are made with detergents and mineral oils and other agents then its not real herbal soap. Anyone can buy soap in craft stores and throw in some herbs and other ingredients. That does not make it natural soaps. There is still the detergents and other artificial ingredients to make it melt and pour. This is based on my knowing what is in the soap I use. I myself have been guilty of the convenience of Melt & Pour soaps and the the different ways you can make these soap look pretty and appealing to the buyers by using colorful colors and herbs and other things to make these soaps stand out for the buyers but you have to ask yourself. Although these soap are pretty, are they really good for your skin. My soaps may not be pretty in color or have fancy names and cute molds that they were made with but I think I am better off with the natural route.

Try the microwave test to distinguish real soap from melt and pour soap. (You know, the little kits you can buy at the craft store for "making soap" with kids?) And not only the craft store soaps but any melt and pour soap base. A melt & pour soap will begin to liquify with a minimum of 10 seconds in the microwave. A true cold process soap won't melt that easily.

What methods are used make Melt & Pour so convenient to use? Obviously it takes more artificial ingredients to make these kinds of soaps readily available for ease of use and being able to melt it over and over again.


This is not to knock down anyone who buys or sells these kinds of soaps. To each their own but for me it was a lesson for me not to use these kinds of soaps for myself. I still like to use these soaps to make pretty colorful soaps with certain fragrance that I can't use in the cold process method such as fragrance with vanilla. These fragrance oils don't do well in cold processed soaps and will turn the soaps brown. M & P still clean your body as homemade soaps but overall they are not good for your skin. This is why I decided to start making my own soaps. I know what is in my soaps.

Why homemade soaps? Real natural soap is easy to see. First, it should say "soap" on the label. By law, soaps that are not REAL soaps will say "beauty bars" or some other name other than soap.

I use soybean oil,palm, coconut oil, safflower oil, and other oils to soften the skin such as almond oil, cocoa butter, grapeseed oil. But even with out these oils, homemade soaps will make your skin much softer and smoother.

These are ingredients you will find in homemade soaps. If the soaps are not made with this then look elsewhere. Yes some Melt and Pour have added goats milk, honey, herbs and added oils but that doesn't make it good for you skin. Again I have been guilty of adding these ingredients to my soaps before making my own from scratch.

Our cold process soaps are specially formulated to deliver the very best in skin care while using only safe, truly natural ingredients. I never use pomace olive, harmful chemicals, synthetic preservatives, cheap petroleum products.

I don't claim that my soaps are "ALL NATURAL" mainly because I use fragrance oils in my soaps because the scents (to me) seem to last longer than the essential oils. I do have some soaps that don't have artificial colors or fragrance oils I can say are all natural soaps. So I can't completely say they are "All NATURAL" because I will be a hypocrite if I did say that. But I can say that you are more safer with my soaps then other soaps you will find on the market. Yes essential oils are far more better for you than fragrance oils but the do not have the wide variety of scents that most people are looking for. I would love to stock my shelves with more essential oils but 5.99 for a 1/2 oz of essential oils is pretty expensive. The more exotic the essential oil is, the more expensive they are. As much as I use scents in my soaps, this is not economical for me at this time. Especially since I am a very small business.

Other harmful synthetic additives to avoid are FD&C colors, dyes, antibacterial triclosan & triclocarban, EDTA, TEA, DEA, sodium laureth and sodium lauryl sulfates, and other chemical sounding names you don't recognize or can't even pronounce. Avoid them all.


Of course the real test will be when you use the soap. If it dries your skin out or makes it feel tight or itchy then its not soap. There's nothing like well made, glycerin rich, real handcrafted natural oil soap to leave your skin feeling soft, smooth, and nourished.

Since I have been using my own soaps, I have not use my lotions that I make on my skin. But I still use them, just not as much. So if you're looking for skin loving soap, take the time to seek out natural handmade real soap. Your skin will thank you for it. A healthier skin means a healthier you!
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry Legs Oh NO!

Cold vs Hot Process Soap? What's The Difference?

Cold Process vs Hot Process Method