Friday, April 27, 2007

Sodium Laureth Sulfate VS Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate


There is great confusion about Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacteate. I am being asked a lot about using SLS. SLS is Sodium Laureth Sulfate which I do not use. People seem to want to avoid this ingredient as there has been rumors of it causing cancer. Well if you look on any shampoo, body wash or any product you currently have in you bathroom you will see sodium laureth sulfate. This ingredient is very difficult to avoid unless everything you use is organic or made from organic ingredients.

SLS means different things depending on the person. There are several different ingredients that are said to SLS are very different.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is derived from coconut and palm oils; a safe skin friendly surfactant (foaming agent) for both skin and hair. This mild plant derived surfactant creates a rich, luxurious lather that effectively removes suface oil, dirt and bacteria, without stripping or drying sensitive skin. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is also hydrophillic, This meas it is attracted to water, which enables it to dissolve more readily in water. thus providing superior rinseablility.

Sodium laureth sulfate, or sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES) is a detergent and surfactant found in many personal care products (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste etc.). It is an inexpensive and very effective foaming agent made by mixing sulfuric acid, monododecyl ester, and sodium salt. Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) are surfactants (“surface – active agent”: a substance, like a detergent, which enables a liquid to foam), which are used in many cosmetic products for its cleansing and emulsifying properties. Please do your own research.

Sodium Lauryl Lactylate is derived from palm kernel and sugar, a safe, skin friendly cleanser for both skin and hair that effectively removes surface oil, dirt and bacteria, without stripping or drying sensitive skin.

This is for information purposes only. The information about these additives was found from various websites. and wiki, that supply Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate. I am not an expert and I just wanted some to know the difference between the two ingredients.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for this information which was difficult to find !

Anonymous said...

i've been looking for this answer for about 2 hours on countless websites. fianlly it makes sense. THANKS!!

Agnes in Staten Island said...

Thanks for this info. It was very concise and exactly what I was looking for. For those readers who are interested in a shampoo that contains sodium SULFOACETATE (i.e. sulfate free) try the Tec Italy line. No, I'm not a distributor, just a happy customer.

caprice said...

awesome info. just what i need to know.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the information i had resently done a keratin treatment for my hair and did not want to use SLS ...

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Great information since have perioral dermatitis and told to stay away from SLS. Now I know which one is good and which one is bad.

Cat said...

Thank you, I almost stopped using my shampoo because I was confusing these ingredients! You are awesome!

Karen said...

Thanks for this - just received a 'sulfate free' shampoo sample that contains sodium lauryl sulfoacetate was unsure - you've resolved my confusion!

Karen said...

Thanks for this - just received a 'sulfate free' shampoo sample that contains sodium lauryl sulfoacetate was unsure - you've resolved my confusion!

Anonymous said...

thank you for providing a clear definition of these products.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great info. Couldn't find this anywhere else! Recently purchased an all-natural shampoo and was worried that the top ingredient: sodium lauryl sulfoacetate was the same as all the other harmful SLS.
It sounded so similar. God to know i can relax!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to
and you're just too excellent. I really like what you've acquired here, certainly
like what you're saying and the way in which you say
it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart.

I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a wonderful site.



Also visit my web-site: sytropin free trial

Pegasus Soaps said...

Thank You! :-) I am glad everyone feels they are getting something out of reading my blog.

Donna from Florida said...

This information was very helpful. I had found out that the sls were what was damaging my hair and wanted to know what the sodium lauryl sulfoacetate was in relation. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Just the information I was looking for in understandiing the difference in these 2 ingredients - I love the internet and blogs for finding answers to my questions so fast! Appreciate your efforts.